Monday, August 23, 2010

Peace and Weakness (What I did this summer: Nothing.)

If I was not too tired to do it, I might cry. I lost my entire summer to mono and there is no retrieving it. I realize August is not over yet, but there's only one week left and I am still very slow-moving. My body is weak and what is harder to accept is that my mind is weak as well. I cannot think as much or as deeply or as easily as prior to accommodating this virus. I am hopeful that my body is just too busy with it's ongoing counter-terrorism efforts to expend itself on thinking. While I had a brief and fleeting experience of mental 'normalcy' (yes I know, that statement almost needs its own disclaimer), I am very much looking forward to having my mental faculties restored entirely. (A note to my slightly-past-mid-life friends: no comments please about the futility of that hope in the long run: THANK YOU.)
On a positive note, in the last few days I have been able to articulate a thought or two and I feel some stirrings in the To Do List lobe also. (Yes, I have an entire lobe dedicated to this task; it's located in the region most people have their name recollection and directions reading abilities.) But even just putting together the above sentences and re-reading them has me a bit light-headed. The good news is I can do it at all--I think I really am getting better.
I have been to church only once in the last 7 weeks or so. Mostly I just feel that I cannot manage the stimulus overload it would generate. I have been over-sensitive to noise for weeks, have occasional loss of balance, and with headaches being an on-going issue, even thinking about a normal Sunday morning with my church family is a little painful.
Thankfully I have the Spirit to help and I am assured of a call to rest, be patient (easier since the brain is slow), and wait for my body to heal. I find it strangely easy to be at peace and calm in my spirit right now which is a good thing because I might otherwise be imagining all sorts of gloom and doom upon my pathetic self.
One final note: If you can help it, do not contract mono when you are in your mid 40's. If you are meant to have it at all, you are meant to have it in your teens when you can ignore the bulk of the symptoms and bounce back in short order.

No comments: