Wednesday, October 15, 2008

On Romans 12 and Cows


Romans 12:1-8
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
(emphasis mine)

There is little in scripture that gives me more encouragement about my role in the Body of Christ (aka the church) than these verses. We are each created by God with our specific strengths and weaknesses
for One purpose--to glorify God! (Yes, in our weaknesses, too.)
We are ONE body, with MANY parts, for One purpose--to glorify God!
We walk different paths in different ways for One purpose--to glorify God!
We are gifted and called for One purpose--to glorify God!
So there is no need to want to be anything other than who we are, because we are not mistakes--we are for a purpose!
We are
full of purpose--purposeful! And it is acceptable to God! Shouldn't it be acceptable to us?
Now it goes without saying, that we should be reaching for the goal of being more like Jesus, but as we do,
can we not content ourselves to be Who We Are for His sake?
Can we agree with His Word, and work at renewing our minds, or will we buy the lie that we aren't spiritual, pretty, thin, smart, talented, called, healthy, gifted, special, disciplined, normal, rich, strong, savvy, you-name-it, ENOUGH to glorify Him?


Had He wanted, could He not have made us those things? Has it not pleased Him to make us as He did? While I look at you and wish I had the X you enjoy and you look at me and covet the Y that I have, doesn't God see us both as He made us to be and desire that we should trust Him?
We should be overwhelmed with thanksgiving for His careful plans for us. We should be in awe of the love and sacrifice with which we were saved.
"Oh, but if I could just have some....of....the....grass....over....there!"
We are not cows. That greener grass is called DISCONTENT--discontentment with God's plan for us, the very people He purchased with His blood. We are a purchased and redeemed people, and yet
like the Israelites in the desert, we're grumbling! I am anyway, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one.
So, I repent. I will choose, instead, to be THANKFUL!

I will be thankful that I am who I am and I will be thankful for my family and I will be thankful for my life and I will be thankful for my home. I will be thankful to be 43, out of shape (although round is a shape!), middle-lower-class, over-busy, exceedingly imperfect, and frequently just plain weird.
But I will not be discontent.
I choose, this day, to NOT BE A COW.



No comments: