Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Humility without humiliation--is it possible?

I don't want to be proud--God is opposed to the proud. I want to be humble, like Jesus, so I have often prayed:
"Oh God, help me to be humble........but please don't humiliate me."
Fortunately for me, that prayer isn't quite as preposterous as it sounds, unlike the one that I've often been tempted to pray but haven't bothered with: "Oh God, help me to lose 50 lbs, but please make it effortless..." While the first prayer actually has scriptural precedent; unfortunately for me, my own sinfulness renders it almost as unlikely to be achieved as the second one.

I desire humility enough to put out great effort to work with Him towards that goal. And my perspective and prayer is in good company. In Psalm 25:1-5 David said virtually the same thing:
To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, in You I trust,
Do not let me be ashamed; Do not let my enemies exult over me.
Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed;
Those who deal treacherously without cause will be ashamed.
Make me know Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths.
Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation;
For You I wait all the day.

And, as a follower of Jesus, it's part of what I am commanded to do.
1Peter 3:8-9 To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.

So I try. And I grow. And I do better. And I start feeling pretty good about my humility, and then on occasion--wham! Humiliation. Apparently I've still got plenty to learn. However, because I really do want it, I am willing to submit to the pain of the process. (Oh yeah, and I deserved it, too.) I confess, I repent, I make amends and I start again.

Being humble is a good thing--definitely worth the effort. And even if I wasn't sure about that, I would certainly be sure that it is better to become well-acquainted with humility than for God to give me a hard and fast introduction. I've seen it in person--most of us have at some time. Luke 4:11 " For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled..."
For the arrogant child of God it often involves public knowledge, broken lives, collateral damage, grief and humiliation. It's just plain scary; but severe correction is evidence of sonship and it's better than death.
Hebrews 12:9-11 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

The School of Humility sometimes leaves me wondering if I've been disciplined or if this is just another lesson. Either way, I know in Whom I have trusted and He is worthy of my trust. He will teach me in ways I cannot teach myself and correct me when I err. But to those who exalt themselves, puff up and look down, believe their own press and reject correction He makes a horrible promise.
Isaiah 2:12
For the LORD of hosts will have a day of reckoning against everyone who is proud and lofty and against everyone who is lifted up, that he may be abased.
That isn't something I want to be a part of--I'll take my lumps now, thank you.

The Lord is my Master. He gets to decide the path I take in life and my job is to obey and to learn to do it--whatever it is--with humility. Jesus himself is my example.
Philippians 2:8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

I want to be like Jesus. I want to walk in ways that honor Him. So if, while on this path, humiliation is the tool God chooses to help make me like His Son, then I will try for His sake to recall that Jesus went there first and I am just a Follower.

No comments: